All D-BIOL doctoral students are required to have a doctoral committee. Members of the doctoral committee must be listed on the title page of the research proposal.
The doctoral committee must be composed of:
- official thesis supervisor (D-BIOL Professor)
- immediate supervisor (if applicable)
- two additional professors or senior scientists:
- generally at least a professor or Privatdozent from the D-BIOL
- one who is independent and not from the Institute of the official thesis supervisor
The doctoral committee will meet for at least the following meetings:
- for the approval of the research proposal (before it is forwarded to the D-BIOL)
- approximately two years after the commencement of the project
- towards the end of the doctorate
For the second and third meeting, doctoral students must prepare a brief report. Other meetings may be held at the request of the doctoral candidate or his/her respective supervisor.